Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Soiree

I just got back from one of those parties that could be a real disaster but wasn't. Allow me to explain. You know how you go to those parties that 'everyone is going to' and you turn up and it's just you and the person who invited you? Well, it was something like that. It was W from work's birthday, and I expected to turn up to find several people from work getting tipsy in a student-ish place. It turns out that I walk in the door, get greeted by W's Mum and find that a couple of her (I assume) high school friends are sitting around having a drink with her parents and a few rellies. It could have been awkward as arse, but it was actually fantastic. The house was lovely, with paintings and beautiful things everywhere, and polished floorboards and lots of elegant furniture. Her parents and friends were awesome, in no time at all we were chatting like mad. One of her inquisitive Aunties asked the four or five girls what we're all doing at the moment, so we did the faintly silly 'go around the circle' thing.

When they got to me, I didn't know what to say. I told them that I had moved to Melbourne and just finished my course, which prompted questions about writing. I explained Nanowrimo and they were all suitably impressed. (I guess it was good for something after all, eh?) We sat around drinking some very acceptable red for hours.

It made me realise just how much I enjoy being thrown into the deep end socially like that. I can just hear Ash shuddering as she reads this... But I love it! You meet so many interesting people. It was brilliant to chat and banter and learn about them. It gives me a rush, I don't really know how to explain it.

So, now I'm home again and have another day off ahead of me. Oh, what bliss.

4 Comments:

At 12:48 am, Blogger Emano said...

More power to you, then. I drown in that deep end.

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Jess said...

*shudders* I'd have made some excuse to leave.

 
At 9:07 pm, Blogger Ata said...

I once went to a party where, as we pulled up, I said to Mr Ata, "What if it's just us?" He said, "Don't worry, it won't be".

But it was.

For a couple of hours, it was just us, and the birthday boy, and his sister. He had invited 50-odd people from his church, but there was another party on that night. So everyone went to that one. We didn't go to his church, so we weren't invited to the other party. I felt very bad for him.

 
At 8:20 am, Blogger biped said...

Couldn't someone have invited him to the other party? It sounds dreadful. I'm ok in crowds as long as it constists of captive people that have no means of escape. They start talking when you stare at them. Anyone else just runs. I have seen fear in the eyes of people when I had cornered them to discuss the evil of whatever my bugbear was that day. Not a pretty sight. I avoid crowds now. I think I even developed a speech impediment as the direct result of someones fervent wish that I never talk to them again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home