Thursday, October 22, 2009

One Day, I'll Go Pro

Last Tuesday night was the signing for The Etiquette Files, a journal put together by Holmesglen, and I was lucky enough to be included, so a signing I went.



It was all very exciting. I even got to sit behind a table, like a real author. The best part, though, was meeting the other authors and chatting with tutors and literary folk and generally being a bit of a nerd. My piece was titled 'A Rather Sensible Guide for the Enjoyment of Free Beer Provided by Glorious and Venerated Acquaintances, or Why You Should be Nice to Strangers', which ended up being easily the longest and silliest title in the entire publication. I was ever so proud.

Of course, it's not a huge deal as far as publications go, but I was very happy to make the cut, and it has been a lovely confidence boost as well. With Nanowrimo approaching, I am churning over ideas, and am very tempted (despite crazy November schedule) to have a crack at it again this year. I'm quite sure that I will end up expanding upon an idea that I could never really get down in short story form. It might, however, work as a novel. Or novella. Or a longer piece. So we shall see.

I also really need to finalise the content for the zine I'm putting together. Hmm. Shall I include a short story?

8 Comments:

At 9:14 pm, Blogger Martin Brennand said...

YAY! Well done! Looks like a nice compilation. Living the dream. :)

 
At 12:32 am, Blogger Jess said...

Your hair! It's so short and adorable!

Congratulations, Emma-bean. Published again!

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Aw, thanks guys! Yaaaay for being published!

Jessy-Bean! I do love the hair, too. Yay!

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Skywolf said...

Em, that is so fantastically awesome. A signing! Your first signing! *squee*

Congrats on making another little dent in the world of publishing! Every one a step closer to the final, wonderful crack...

And J is right. You rock that haircut.

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Whee! I know, isn't it cool, Sky? The signing, I mean! It's so great to be putting myself out there and actually managing to get little bits and pieces published. Melbourne is good for that.

And yes, I am very much enjoying the hair. I have found my groove, and I adore it. Besides, all I need to do to style it is spray something in it and go 'RAH!' with my hands.

 
At 1:39 am, Anonymous Skywolf said...

Hahaha. My idea of styling my hair is very occasionally plaiting it whilst damp, going to bed, and brushing out wavy locks in the morning. That's about the full extent of my hair-styling skill...

And yay times a million for getting yourself out there! I wish this little part of the world had those kinds of opportunities. But still, I, too, am putting myself out there and will hopefully make a few more dents of my own soon. Your successes give us all hope. *grin*

 
At 11:27 pm, Blogger Emma said...

i will be right here with you celebrating the next time you get published, Sky! One day, we'll have an event together. Yes? Yes.

I'm doing Nano at the moment, so I'm filled with overeager writerly spirit. You can do it! I can do it! We can do it!

Don't forget that you're awesome!

 
At 5:09 am, Anonymous Skywolf said...

*massive grin*

Yes! Go us! We will rock the publishing world together!

Very best of luck with NaNo this year. Sounds like you're off to a great start already. Yay for motivation! Keep that momentum going! You can totally win it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home