Saturday, May 13, 2006

More of Stockholm

I said I'd write about the other day, so here we go.

Ash had to get up early to go to uni, but I managed a small sleep-in. There's a good start to a day, right there. So, I sat around in my pj's talking to Q on Skype, then buggered off to get ready and catch the bus into town. I managed to scam the bus driver into thinking I was under 20, and therefore got a half-price ticket. I was horribly proud of knowing enough Swedish to do so.

So, I met Ash at Stockholm Centrum. We wandered off to Queen Street to get some lunch. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining... which served to highlight the already dazzling neon green chairs the Asian restaurant provided. After nearly blinding ourselves eating lunch, we wandered down to Old town to look around. I spotted the horrible tourist stores and grabbed a bunch of things to send home (Shage, Lisa etc, I mean you) and tried not to look too stupid. Then we wandered around looking at the heartbreakingly beautiful old buildings, before locating the Science Fiction bookstore. I resisted so many things, but my resolve crumbled and I picked up 'American Gods.' (And it's bloody good. No regrets.) Ash and I also got our hands on some nerdy t-shirts with the store logo on them. Yes, lame, but they're nerdy cool. Mine is a ttch too tight, but being black, I think I can get away with it.

After watching a guy playing with the light sabres on display (they made whooshing noises when you swung them, and zzzz noises when you hit things, so cool, I wanted to play) we hauled ourselves out. I was looking around for the Spider-man comic Jes told me about (the new one?) as well as an amazing book of GRRM illustrations that we found last time, but managed not to find them. Just as well, I'm sure they're both expensive.

We walked back and forth until we found the dungeon cafe that Ash had been to before. No, nothing kinky, the place is an actual 14th century monastery that was converted into a dungeon in the 16th century. All of the signs had English translations, and there was a faded cardboard sign saying 'Euros and dollars accepted!' I cringed a little at at. So, while we were drinking our hot chocolate and coffee, we listened to the pan pipe version of 'My Heart Will Go On,' and a heavily ironic Monk/chant version of 'Losing My Religion.' Considering where we were at the time... Hee.

It didn't really get exciting after that, we shopped Old town and Ash got another t-shirt. We did a little food shopping and caught the train home, and then watched Lost all snuggled up on the couch.

10 Comments:

At 12:17 pm, Blogger keppet said...

You read Spidey?!

Jes reads Spidey?!


Why did no one tell me?!

So so so... which series? How uptodate?

Oh the questions...

 
At 7:38 pm, Blogger Jess said...

Of course I read Spidey... I don't buy them though, thankfully my library keeps buying new editions of the trade paperbacks. I only really follow Ultimate - the older comics I find a bit boring.

I'm still pretty behind though. One day I'll hop on eBay and actually buy them.

 
At 2:25 am, Blogger keppet said...

Ultimate! Oh cool. I love this series- the writer (Brian Michael Bendis who also seems to do a million other comics at the same time) has a great sense of humour and the art is above standard. The story-telling varies but has pulled out some stories that made me gasp with their audacity. Almost scene by scene he reporduced "The Death of Gwen Stacy"* but with MJ in her role instead so I really believed that they were going to kill off the lead female. To get me genuinely reworried in a retelling of comic books? That is an accomplishment. And every time they deviate from the original script (which is often) I get a little buzz of not knowing what to expect.

* Recommended arc in the "Amazing" series if you can find it.

 
At 8:23 am, Blogger academiannut said...

god - monks chanting losing my religion? that's hysterical.

I used to read all the ultimates back when marvel first put them online, but haven't kept up. I did want to read more but haven't gone beyond what's available in the library.

I always have comics in my class for my students to read, though. For some of them, it's the only thing that'll get them reading at all.

 
At 7:38 pm, Blogger Jess said...

"has a great sense of humour and the art is above standard."

Yeah, the art is what got me hooked in the first place. God, some of it I could frame, it's so gorgeous.

And I didn't know it was online. Hmm.

I've got SFM hooked on it as well. Mwah.

 
At 9:33 pm, Blogger Emma said...

god - monks chanting losing my religion? that's hysterical.

Yeah, actually it was so funny that I kept zoning out of conversations to listen and giggle...

 
At 12:40 pm, Blogger academiannut said...

Yeah, they don't seem to have as many of the ultimates online as they used to, but they've got a bunch of stuff there. If you don't mind reading comics on your computer, it's great.

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger myo said...

You seem to have lost your audience to Spidey, Em. Perhaps if you'd illustrated your narrative with pictures ... you know, make it kinda like a comic.

Have you finished reading American Gods, Em? Some parts of it i thought were great, but parts of it DRAGGED. Too much meandering around, literally and figuratively speaking, to suit me. But i did really like how a lot of bits and pieces all came together at the end.

I preferred Anansi Boys to American Gods. Lots more black humour and less of the distracting cameo stories in it. Anansi Boys might be an offshoot of American Gods but i'd say it's closer in style to Neverwhere or Good Omens.

....

And where are these Spidey comix online ... just in case myo wants to take a peek.

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger Emma said...

I loved both books. I don't think it dragged, but it probably would on a re-read. Anansi boys rocked, though. It was so damn funny.

'Excuse me, you left your lime at reception.'

Hee hee hee. I finished it in a couple of hours. Loved that book.

 
At 11:25 am, Blogger academiannut said...

Just go to Marvel.com, Myo - (if you haven't already) - and look for a link to digital comics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home