Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Kilts, Sparkles and Too Much Cock

Hmm, I think my Mum/cousin reads this, so pretend that filthy word in the title is a hilarious acronym. Go on, it's easy. There.

The official site with lots of pictures is here. You can switch it to English if it comes up in Swedish.

Here's one:



So, Ash and I went along to the Stockholm Pride March the other day. As soon as we got there, I realised that I wasn't wearing anything colourful or covered in sparkles, which seemed to be a standard. Whoops. I guess the faded Nanowrimo t-shirt isn't terribly festive. There were many, many wild and wacky characters about the place, including (but not limited to) :

  • A troupe of guys wearing scanty kilts covered in sparkles (one who looked extremely familiar, although I couldn't place him) who ran around flashing the crowd as we marched down the streets of Stockholm. I should have glanced away, but no, I saw... it. Several times. Give me a shudder.
  • A supposedly famous drag queen who was dressed in white, and who kept posing as she walked. At one point, she smushed Ash into her breasts for a bunch of people taking photos. Hee.
  • A couple of Malaysian ladyboys decked out like peacocks with huge feathery capes. Actually, there may have been a woman in there, as one of them had a lone feather taped to each nipple.
  • A score of girls walking around with masking tape over their nipples and shorts, nothing else. One of them had the tape on her back instead...
  • A truck full of people stripped to the waist and painted bright red, dancing to Eurovision songs while blowing bubbles.
  • A girl with massive angel wings riding around on a white horse.
  • A pretty blonde girl in a long green dress with beautiful eye make-up like butterfly wings covering all around her eyes. Very cool.
  • A gaggle (or is it a yarr?) of pirate folk. There were a couple of very convincing Jack Sparrows. Brilliant stuff. They were singing chanties in the park before we left.
Of course there were thousands upon thousands of people just walking in the parade, waving rainbow flags and generally having a good time. It was my very first pride march (I always had to bloody work when Midsumma was on in Melbourne) and I had a brilliant time watching everything happen.

Pity it was stinking hot and my tooth was rather sore. We ducked out towards the end and went for a kebab.

Ooh! A photo with us in it! (We think...) Ok, so you'll have to blow this one up.




Here's a final image for you. (This one is Ash's favourite.) Hee hee.


6 Comments:

At 7:59 am, Blogger Neilissimo said...

Well, if your mum or cousin doesn't find it funny, you made this englishman laugh anyhow!

I went to one of the Gay Pride events in London as a spectator and certainly saw some things that I hadn't seen before. I'll always remember a guy wearing nothing byt Christina Aguelria style trousers showing his thong at the back... I didnt know whether to laugh or not.

 
At 8:08 am, Blogger Emma said...

Hah, dead right. *grins* I certainly saw a bunch of things I'd never seen before.

Next time I'm considering going to a pride parade wearing nothing but jeans and a pair of suspenders... you know, just to blend in...

(Actually, no, might get sunburned...)

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger Jess said...

No no no. Remus is mine, Sirius can bugger off.

I love Pride parades. Very much quality entertainment, especially as everyone is in such a brilliant mood.

And hah, that is so you guys. Back in black...

 
At 11:15 pm, Blogger transparency said...

I saw you! It's you in there, hehe!

*laughs*
I agree with Ash about her fave pic.

 
At 6:56 pm, Blogger daisy said...

Remus is mine,

Roshambo you for him, Jess

 
At 2:48 am, Blogger No said...

I didn't know there was a gay pride also in stockolm. There is one in geneva every year shorter before the national feasts. National day is august the 1rst. Then there's about 10 days of festivities, concerts and stuff and then a giant fireworks show on the lake. And of course the Lake Parade (gay pride) too. But i haven't gone there for ages. I usually don't much like all the techno music (there is lots of that).

http://www.lakeparade.ch/review_2006_photos.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home