Friday, September 15, 2006

Counting Down to New York

This time next week, I'll be on a plane to New York.

I've sat here and looked at the screen for a few minutes wondering what to type next. Next week, New York. It's pretty big for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'm quite amazed that I'm actually able to go there. It was the same before Paris. I kept saying to myself, 'Wow, I'm going to Paris. I'm going to visit France.' I still can't quite believe that I've been there, done that. It's Paris! I know people who would claw out my eyes to get to go there! And I'm sure the same is true when it comes to New York. Wow, I'm going to have visited New York city.

This might be less of a big deal to anyone reading this who doesn't live in Australia. Even though heaps of people get out and travel and see the world, even more people don't get the chance. And really, Australia is a long way from a whole lot of things.

So yes, apart from the 'I get to go to a very cool city and play' factor, there's also the fact that I'm leaving Stockholm, which has become so familiar and fantastic. If it weren't for the fact that I can't see any of my friends and family while I'm over here, I think I'd be pretty happy in Sweden. It's a very cool place. But yes, I miss everyone like mad. I want to go home!

I'm really not looking forward to the goodbye at the airport. I hate that part. When the moment comes when I have to walk away and get on the plane, it's like a cold wind blows through me. I feel like something in my chest is being pulled until it snaps. Even though I'm going to try to be brave, I'm sure that I'll cry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about New York and all the fun that we're going to have. I'm honestly looking forward to it and having a little bounce. But at the same time, I'm going to be leaving Ash to sit around in the apartment all by herself.

It's all a big jumble of excitement and adventure and sorrow and... everything else.

So here's to next week.

8 Comments:

At 10:53 am, Blogger Emano said...

I vote that we (the fans) should get podcasts from the Travelling Aussie. We've gotten her reports on Sweden already, and now she's going to New York. Who's with me? Show of hands....

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Jess said...

Yah. With guest interviews please.

 
At 2:44 am, Blogger Emma said...

Ooh, I shall certainly see what I can do. They might not have music (or maybe, depending on if I have access to the stuff I need) but I could use my template (the intro and the backing) to work something out...

Very cool idea.

 
At 2:47 am, Blogger La Tulipe said...

Rian is gone mute with Fright.

Microphones are like bananas.

 
At 3:26 am, Blogger Emma said...

Don't worry, I'll run the electronic voice recorder on my phone and put up random scraps of conversation...

Heh heh heh...

 
At 7:42 am, Blogger Emano said...

Great idea, Emma. Those scraps can be edited together in any number of interesting ways.

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger Q said...

Wahey! I like that idea. I might have to push you out of the way and steal the microphone.

*clears throat* Hello? Hello!

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger academiannut said...

Stuff Ash in your suitcase.

-turns up nose- NYC is way better than Paris.

Or so I've heard . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home