Sunday, October 08, 2006

America and Stuff

It's about bloody time I wrote an update. For those of you not stalking me obsessively, I'm currently in Spokane (which I discovered is pronounced 'Spo-can') staying with the wonderful Rian. Hooray! Q and I have been spoiled ever so much since we arrived all sleepy and grumpy and sick of planes on Wednesday night.

She's put us up in the in-law's place a couple of streets down, as they are away on holiday, and don't mind weird people from the internet staying over. The place is bloody massive. Q and I have AN ENTIRE FLOOR each. I'm upstairs with my own bathroom and a couple of TVs (they have one in pretty much every single room) and Q is downstairs with the kitchen etc. King-sized bed for her. Oh my, are we going to weep when we have to go back to skinny hostel matresses again. (Seriously, the hostel in Boston had such rickety frames that we thought we were going to shift in our sleep and collapse the fucker and kill each other.)

Last night we got rather drunk and ate the stir-fry that Q and I made (Rian has been taking us out for food because she canna cook, so we owe her) and watched a certain episode of Buffy. Rian didn't flee in horror, I was shocked. After that, I went upstairs and watched Veronica Mars (S2) while Q drooled over the new season of Battlestar Galactica that just came out here.

Today we went to Idaho, quite randomly. We had lunch in a spiffy hotel and then walked around the lake. What lake? No idea. One that is in Idaho, obviously. I gave Aidan a shoulder-ride when he got tired and grumpy, and he kept twisting my head around to steer me. I've always wanted to be a pack donkey... Nah, it was cool. The kids are adorable.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the dessert at the fancy restaurant. The dessert menu had a massive chalice (yeah, that's about the right word, seriously) on the front of it filled with whipped cream and chocolate cake mixture ice-cream and nuts and everything. It looked delicious until I saw that the text saying 'Actual size.' It was AS BIG AS MY HEAD. I know everything is bigger in America, but come on, people!

Tonight we're heading to the very pretend Australian themed 'Outback Steakhouse.' I wonder if they'll try to do our accents?

10 Comments:

At 5:32 pm, Blogger Ata said...

I am a little concerned that you had to get drunk to eat your own stir fry.

Why do they put an e on the end if it is pronounced Spo-can? I mean, I don't wanna start nothin, but maybe they just need a little sticker on any tourist information brochures to make sure there's no misguided mispronunciation.

 
At 6:05 pm, Blogger Jess said...

...Spo-can. All my imaginings about that place have been crushed.

 
At 8:09 pm, Blogger Emma said...

But it's lovely! Really!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we're sdrunk.

SPO-CAN. Spooooookalooo.

 
At 5:23 am, Blogger Skywolf said...

But is it 'Spo' as in 'Spock'? Or 'Spo' as in 'spoke'? And do you put the emphasis on the 'Spo' or the 'can'?

Very confusing. Ata is right. They need to publish Information.

 
At 10:42 am, Blogger Emano said...

Spoke Ann.

I want an Outback report. I have wondered what real Aussies would think of Outback Steakhouse.

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Jess said...

I've been there before, and thought it was great fun. Especially the coasters (which I stole).

 
At 12:33 am, Blogger La Tulipe said...

We stole the menu.

Very subtly.

Very, veeeery subtly. Rian has thieving hands.

Spoke Ann. Mater is correct. Tis named after an indian tribe, the Spoke Ann EEE, who lived on the river until they were forced away. And then apparently their name was mangled to name the town.

 
At 3:38 am, Blogger skittledog said...

Well, who needs extra syllables.

I am a little worried by the implication of

For those of you not stalking me obsessively

that Em considers all Harlemites at least as stalkers.

Whereas the opposite is in fact quite true. TWBLIL: never let Em near your chest with a camera...

 
At 3:54 am, Blogger Emma said...

It was a series of accidents! I swear to bob!

And Rian is the least subtle theif I've ever come across. She was slowly sliding the menu into Q's bag while a waiter was coming and watching her do it!

It was awesome food, though.

Q is sitting behind me and correcting my spelling. It is quite unnerving. *grin*

 
At 5:37 pm, Blogger myo said...

"Q is sitting behind me and correcting my spelling."

I'd be interested to know if Q helped you to spell "thief", em.

And when is Q going to post a hobbling trip report?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home