Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Glory of Glories



My two newest addictions are George RR Martin and comic books, so you can imagine that my nerdhood practically explodes with glee at the thought of the two combining. I recently got my hands on a copy of the impossible to find 'The Hedge Knight' comic book (graphic novel if you want to sound mature) which is so good I very nearly had to put down a plastic bag.

The story was first published in Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg and is set about a hundred years before the spectacular A Song of Ice and Fire series. It is also the source of quite a few in jokes that you'll pick up on if you've read ASoIaF, such as the design of a certain shield.

The artwork is amazingly good. I seriously quivered with delight at some of the scenes. Everything looks perfect, if you pretend that the banners and heraldry are dirt-stained and grubby (the Fossoway apples in particular are just a tad too shiny for my liking). But the characters are perfect and the action and pace is captured beautifully. My favourite was Baelor Breakspear, he was heartbreakingly accurate. The armour! The colours! Ah, it looks divine.

If you're a Martin fan, you need to get it, get it now. If you're not, get it anyway. Martin is so very good that almost all other fantasy writers pale in comparison.

6 Comments:

At 12:30 am, Blogger Emano said...

Episode 7 of GRRM's podcast is called, "Games, Comic Books, and Figures." It takes care of 2 addictions at once also.

 
At 3:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. I sent you the CD this morning Em, you should receive it next week, around friday or so.

Might send you an email as well, once i get home if i don't forget.

Nadine

 
At 5:19 am, Blogger Archie Furrows said...

Good grief...I thought that was a photo of a miniature at first.

I am spending *way* to much time thinking about gaming.

Anyway...I've never read any of Martin's works. Any suggestions where would be a good place to start?

 
At 11:15 pm, Blogger Emma said...

'Fevre Dream' is spectacular if you want something that's just one book, and I highly, highly recommend it. If you're looking for something much more intricate, and in a fantasy setting, get yourself 'A Game of Thrones.'

I adore that book. Perfect read. Hope that helps, Indy!

 
At 12:18 am, Blogger No said...

I would also recommend Windhaven that blew me away. It's still one of my favorites.

I've heard that Armeggedon rag was a great one too.

And probably the Hedge Knight is the smoother way to enter the Westeros kingdom by the 'slide' door.

 
At 12:26 am, Blogger No said...

Oh and Martin too is a miniature nerd like you Indy.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/knights/index.html

And ASOIAF will also be released in miniatures.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news/miniatures.jpg
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/archive05.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home