Monday, June 04, 2007

Placement - Day 1

To begin with, I was actually surprisingly OK with getting up at 6. I think my body coped merely to be perverse. Anyway, I was out the door and on my way to the station in no time. The walk was actually quite nice, as for some reason, it wasn't horribly cold. I think our apartment in Melbourne is actually colder...

So, I arrived at the station and tried to work the buzzer/intercom thing. I don't think I actually managed, but eventually someone came out and got me. I spent about an hour being shown around and sitting in the studio of 3BO, which was cool.

One of the first things Cogho (the main announcer in the mornings, I guess) did was give me homework on behalf of Pete. Bloody Pete! I mentally waved a fist and started transcribing news into beats to be read on-air. It was before 8am, so my brain was a bit sludgy, and not in the mood for homework, but I somehow managed.

At some point Alex arrived, looking tired. Poor Alex. *grin*

Oh, also, being in the studio meant answering the phones a few times... Which was scary. After that, I was shooed into the production studio to have a mess around with the computers. After being told not to mess with the on-air log (which was on the computer I was using... eep... I could just see me fucking up the entire broadcast accidently...) I played with some audio and put some music under some station promos. I also looked through the music library on the system. My lord, but there are a lot of Beatles songs... (And how funny, as many a time on the bus from high school listening to Star FM I had longed to get into the logs and delete 'Jessie's Girl.') To my delight, they had Starlight. Which I played a number of times over the very loud speakers. Huzzah.

Eventually, someone came into the production studio with something to do. I pretty much sat and watched and got a comprehensive Audition tutorial, which most of the time had me gaping slightly and nodding. It was actually pretty fun watching the production. Also, it made me feel quite ashamed of my own modest efforts... I suppose you can only get better, right?

Soon after that (about 12ish) I was told that I could head off. Tomorrow I'm helping with news, so have to be there at 6. Blah. Early! But still, at least I get to do cool stuff. More production tomorrow, I think, as well as some creative writing.

Wouldn't it be nice if I scored a job writing copy somewhere? I mean, actually using my degree? Shock, horror.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 pm, Blogger Jess said...

Wow, that sounds really cool. I'm jealous and excited for you. Although haha about the 6am starts. :p

 
At 1:46 am, Blogger Skywolf said...

Go Em! Sounds brilliant!

Video obviously didn't kill the radio star.

 
At 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this mean I have to listen to 3BO instead of JJJ ,EM ?
LOVE MUM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home