Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fine, Yes, It Might Be Because of Some Muse Lyrics

I feel like writing today.

That might seem like something that you'd find me saying all the time, but it hasn't been true for a while. It's funny, so many people I know who write tends to find it so hard to sit down and get to it. Shouldn't it be easy? Shouldn't we be scribbling things every time we think of something new and different? I can't speak for anyone else, but I find writing really daunting sometimes. If it's not something I can tap out in half an hour (like a movie review) and know that what I can do is going to be perfectly fine, I get... worried? Anxious?

I didn't put that very well at all. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there are throwaway pieces and pieces that you have to work bloody hard on, because they're likely to be ripped to shreds (probably for their own good, mind you.) Throwaway pieces are fine, I can do them, but I've been completely unable to work on my novel for a while.

I need a good slapping to get over it, I think. Or theme music. Yeah, I like that idea.

5 Comments:

At 2:53 pm, Blogger Ata said...

I can offer you a virtual slapping, if that would help.

Ahem.

GET TO WORK, YOU PANSY! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? YOU CALL YOURSELF A WRITER? IF I DON'T SEE SOME WORDS ON THAT PAGE IN FIFTEEN MINUTES, I'M GOING TO EAT CHOCOLATE IN FRONT OF MY COMPUTER SCREEN!

Does that help?

 
At 5:20 pm, Blogger Emma said...

*bursts out laughing*

Yes. That was very good for me, thank you.

*salutes*

 
At 1:39 am, Blogger Q said...

*cracks up*

Brilliant, ata. You just managed to cheer me up no end.

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Ata said...

{bows}

My work here is done.

 
At 1:38 am, Blogger Skywolf said...

Hee hee hee.

I do know what you mean though, Em. Although, I find writing my novel easier than article writing, and tend to work on it when I know I should be writing something but can't face the complexity of writing something factual that needs to be structured perfectly, researched perfectly, and marketed perfectly at my publication of choice. Ack. I find all that rather daunting if I think about it too much when embarking on a factual piece. But I nearly always find that thinking about it is a lot worse than actually sitting down and doing it. Once I kick myself into gear and just get on with it, things flow much more smoothly than I'd feared, and I'm reminded that I really enjoy that type of writing as well as fictional stuff.

I think it's starting a new piece that's the most difficult for me. Once I get past the initial hurdle of 'Aah! I have no idea how to come at this or where to find the right info or how to tailor it to Suchandsuch Magazine', I realise that there's actually a smooth, enjoyable road behind it and everything comes together fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home