Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jealous of Ragingly Awesome People

I just found out that Neil Gaiman (who I adore beyond reason) just got sent a copy of Amanda Palmer's new album Who Killed Amanda Palmer as a present, and it came 'all wrapped up in ancient lace.' Ah! I'm so jealous! But sort of strangely happy that two of my favourite people of all time are like, buddies, and send each other presents, because you know what? That's really, really cool.

I don't know what it is about those two. I guess Neil is pretty much all I want to be as an author (not to mention how ragingly cool he is to his fans) and Amanda is pretty much the idol of everything in me that loves music and performing and wild and crazy art. And they're both so fucking lovely! OK, so I can't say I've met Neil, but I can totally vouch for the coolness of Amanda - and I know everyone is sick of my Amanda-squee, but seriously, she deserves it.

I just want to be like both of them when I'm all growed up!

See, I kind of do this (get all excited about cool people) when it comes to my friends, as well, because... I don't know why, actually. Maybe the writer in me likes decoding and unpicking characters and for some reason, I'm just so utterly exuberant and celebratory when I discover that someone is, in fact, a spectacular person and has amazing qualities. So yes, I am doing the same thing, from afar, in this case.

I can't help it, I just love people. They're what life is all about.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 am, Blogger keppet said...

I liked it at the end of American Gods where there was some extra stuff to read and one piece mentioned some of the people Gaiman hangs about with... including a couple of my favourite authors. It gave me a warm glowy feeling that people I liked were somehow connected through a cosmic means other than through me.

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Yeah, it makes the world seem all warm and fuzzy in a way. Like all of the cool nerdy people are kind of hanging out and being cool all together (and we're all somehow involved in that, even if it's just in reading-their-blog form...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home