Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Truth

Everyone, right now, go and read Amanda Palmer's latest blog entry - Why Music Matters.

The essay that she's featuring is about the most important thing I've ever read as an artist. And I wish I was a musician (my earnest, generally terrible guitar attempts don't quite count on such a scale, and yet...) But it doesn't matter, music really is that important, to me and to everyone, and... yes. Just go and read it, it'll blow your mind.

I'm happy. Tonight was the first night I've spent at home this week (actually, my bedtimes have been between midnight and 1am) and I jumped into full-on domesticity. I washed clothes, cooked dinner (and some for tomorrow's lunch) and washed dishes. And looked after Tran's washing. And had some very enjoyable wine and cheese, and spent a large chunk of my evening singing in our kitchen, taking enormous comfort in my new spectacular speakers. We have such great acoustics.

Ah. I feel great. I think I want to write. Or, perhaps not, I'm really exceptionally tired, but I would like to read some poetry, and then I think I'll snuggle into bed and read for a couple of hours.

Mmmm.

3 Comments:

At 6:52 am, Blogger Emano said...

It took me a while to get around to reading that post you linked to, but I'm glad I finally did. That's why it drives me crazy when schools here are facing budget problems and getting rid of fine arts programs (or cutting them back) is one of the first solutions.

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Oh, absolutely. Music and the arts are so vitally important. Luckily, the Government here is pretty committed to stimulating the arts - and Melbourne is a city that is inundated with galleries and recital halls and so on.

 
At 2:36 am, Anonymous Skywolf said...

I may be a little late to this, Em, but I just read that article you linked to. Thank you so much for posting that. Wow. I followed Amanda's advice to read it with music on, and had Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto to accompany it.

Oh yeah, and a box of tissues...

Amazing. It articulated something I've been trying to explain recently with regards to why writing is so important to me. And I've just emailed it to a musician friend who had planned to go to uni next term to study music, but may be wavering... I hope it helps.

I will be saving that link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home