Saturday, March 11, 2006

Here and There

Christ, it's cold! And Sweden has so many oddities that I can't stop getting faintly excited about. Just little odd things, like stop buttons being on the roof of the bus, and bins having little hats so as not to fill with snow... Oh, and they have little metal rails on the stairs so that you can push a pram down them without possibly killing your children. Sort of inventive, eh?

So, pretty much all I've done since I got here was get to Ash's place from the airport and eat and sleep and go and look at Södertalje, which has droolworthy architecture and is pretty much like the main strip of Cardiff. (More snow and less dragons, though.)

The water hasn't made me sick (thank god) and the food is pretty much the same.

Oh, I have a bunch of things to add about the plane trips, but I'll leave that for later. Aside from one thing that I think is worth mentioning. When we were about to hit Kuala Lumpur, the Captain comes over the intercom thing and says something like 'We're about 10 minutes away from landing, the weather is lovely, 30 degrees, and please remember that trafficking drugs to Malaysia is punishable by death. Thank you!'

What the hell? I completely wigged out over the Naprogesic and Immodium that I had on me, and panicked that someone could have slipped something into my bag ala Ms Corby. Holy hell, I must have looked so suspicious. Oh, and I was really proud because the language is almost identical to Indonesian (which I know some of, having been subjected to it for about 8 years in school) and even though I don't remember much, I could pick up words here and there and pretty much understand what they were talking about. That was rather exciting. I was all smug about that.

Right, I'll put some photos up soon! Miss everyone like mad but having lots of fun! Especially listening to the awful angsty Nordic pop music. *sniggers*

5 Comments:

At 2:18 am, Blogger biped said...

Cold, eh? I'm rather impressed with the bit-of-indonesian that allows you to understand malayan people.

Apparently it's easy to understand swedes when you understand a bit of dutch. To me it still sounds pretty much like smoerebroed smoerebroed rumpompompom.

 
At 3:10 am, Blogger Emma said...

*laughs* Yeah, sounds like that to me too. It was really surprising about the whole Indonesian thing. I mean, I couldn't understand exactly what they were saying, but I recognised a lot of words like dan (and) tuduk (sit) and keluar (exit) as well as numbers and basic sentence joining words like ini and ada.

And yes, cold. Eugh! Lucky it's pretty. *grin*

 
At 6:30 am, Blogger Archie Furrows said...

'We're about 10 minutes away from landing, the weather is lovely, 30 degrees, and please remember that trafficking drugs to Malaysia is punishable by death. Thank you!'

Better than hearing 'We're about 10 minutes away from landing, the weather is lovely, 30 degrees, and OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!'

:)

Enjoy your trip!

 
At 3:20 am, Blogger Skywolf said...

Heh. I remember seeing that at the bottom of a customs form we were filling in on the plane shortly before landing in Sri Lanka. Steve commented on what a nice welcome that was... 'Welcome to Sri Lanka! Enjoy your stay. And if you're found with any drugs on you, WE'LL KILL YOU! Mwa-ha-ha! Mwa-ha-ha! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaa!!'

Or something.

 
At 4:41 am, Blogger Emma said...

Mo-ha ha ha ha?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home