Friday, May 23, 2008

Fog-breath, poetry.

Got home from the launch a few hours ago (with a stop at Max Brenner for some very appreciated hot chocolate) and have been in that odd, quiet mood where you just want to sit and stare and kind of let your mind unwind. I think perhaps if I had of had whisky or something on hand, I would have poured a glass, but alas, the cupboards are bare of anything of the sort, so I sat with water, on my step, and looked up at the very few stars.

After a while, for whatever reason, I started thinking of Plath. Yes, perfect. I went and found my much-loved copy of her collected works, and flicked through my favourite poems, reading them carefully and passionately to myself. Every word of them is absolutely perfect, I think. It gives me a warm little glow of satisfaction to read them. I almost want to sit with a pen and pull them apart, like I did in year 12, throughout my degree. I miss that, a lot. But I still have my texts, and I still have the ability to go back and steep myself in the poetry.

In fact, it makes me feel very creative. Perhaps tomorrow, when I'm not quite so exhausted, I'll write for a while. It feels like I should.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 pm, Blogger transparency said...

Sylvia Plath.
I've had the chance to discover her work this year. Strangely it wasn't the most famous poems that stuck in my head, but ones like "Balloons", "Mushrooms" or "Cut".
There is something about poems which sparks the desire to handle words and create. Not a surprise that a red scribe can feel the invitation *winks*
I've read somewhere that the true poem continues even when you've lifted your eyes from the page. The text is but a trace, a sparkling trail left by a greater intuition - "le scintillement d'un sillage". Maybe it's this sparkling that catches the creative mind.

Oh the blabbering comment. *grins*

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Oh, I love Cut. Mushrooms, too. There are a lot of amazing poems that I've only found when I've been leafing through her collected works. But I still adore Black Rook and Fever 103 and Lady Lazarus.

You're right, actually. Plath's poems seem to resonate with me for hours after I've read them. And that, I adore. I like your blabbering comment, don't worry. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home